Happy Friday and Happy Holidays! For those who celebrate Hanukkah, which began last night, we wish you a very happy one.
My family took advantage of the warmish weather and visited the famous Missouri Botanical Garden to take in the “Garden Glow.” Fresh air, hot chocolate and holiday music almost made it feel normal. It was beautiful and festive and a lovely change of scenery.
We have lots of content this week-perhaps a reflection of how the holidays have changed this year, requiring more creativity and flexibility. Hopefully these articles will spur some activity and festivity as we see out the remainder of 2020.
Have a great weekend!
- Two brothers’ family business Goodee provides a platform for sustainable and ethically made goods and amplifies underrepresented designers around the world
- A photographer’s innovative camera design maintains a snowflake’s unique design long enough to capture gorgeous high-resolution photos
- Letters to Santa collected by the US Postal Service through their Operation Santa program this year reflect the empathy of children – and the power of Santa Claus
- Designers are reviving a town in Spain with architecture inspired by and incorporating the ruins of the medieval buildings found throughout the city
- Read about ways offices around the country are creatively rethinking the office party this holiday season- at home facial anyone?
- A Latvian designer’s take on pandemic fashion led her to create a duvet-inspired gown
- Pantone chose two colors for their “Color of the Year” – Illuminating (a yellow shade) and Ultimate Gray, with symbolism that truly represents this unusual year
- Vogue’s take on the 17 fashion items that defined 2020, ranging from more casual sweats to glamorous pieces (and of course, masks made the cut)
- One of the latest projects from the environmentally conscious design incubator ‘One X One’ – fermented bacteria turned into a leather alternative. Click here to read more about the incredible projects coming from this group
- A new study from the University of Rochester argues for including creativity as an element of social media algorithms
- Creative methods small businesses are using to transform the holiday shopping experience
Things to Do Around the World
- Experience Hanukkah with the Israel Philharmonic
- Paper Source’s Creativity Subscription Box, the perfect gift for the creatives in your life (or a self-care treat to celebrate making it through a difficult year)
- Chefs’ suggestions for three ways to spice up classic sugar cookies this holiday season
- The RTE Concert Orchestra in Ireland will live stream a concert of classics from musical theater
- Saks Fifth Avenue’s holiday display will be streamed online this year, with a different creative presenting the show every night
- You can stream Great Britain’s Royal Opera’s Christmas Concert
- Ideas to expand your online holiday events beyond Zoom meetings, including suggestions for simultaneously streamed playlists and even a method of reading a bedtime story remotely
- The Met offers a tutorial for kids on how to create a flipbook